A couple friends have recently asked me to share with them how to find good music so, throughout a series of posts, I will share some of my most successful ways. My first suggestion is less about a place to go find music as it is about a frame of mind to take into making these explorations.
![]() |
| http://www.uproxx.com/music/2012/02/bon-iver-needed-2-microphones-on-snl-last-night/ |
I like the music I like. I personally think I have exceptional taste in music, but there are others who would disagree. For example, I hate Bon Iver (minus "Skinny Love"). I think the lead singer sounds like suicide and dead puppies. Others, who I actually allow into my home, love their music. There is no rhyme or reason to the music you will like. Nor should you have to explain what you like or dislike to anyone. Two of my favorite artists are the indie-band Avett Brothers and pop icon, P!nk. For too long I tried to reconcile these musical dichotomies by hiding my love of pop music, but that was stupid. Sometimes I just need skin-deep pop music! Do not put yourself in a box with music, be open, close your eyes and listen to a song, if it touches you keep listening and keep exploring that artist. Step away from the radio and stop listening to bands you loved in high school (just for now).

No comments:
Post a Comment